|Prep Time||20 minutes|
|Cook Time||1 hour|
- 500g Diced Venison
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp ground paprika
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 rashers of lean bacon
- 1 cup diced leek
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1/3 cup cranberries or cranberry jelly
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 100 ml red wine
- 1/2 tsp vinegar
- Zest of 1/2 a lemon
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 100ml reduced beef stock
- 1 tbsp cornflour mixed in cold water
- 2 tbsp lite sour cream
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan; sauté the onions and garlic until transparent.
- Increase to a high heat and pan-fry the diced venison with the paprika, thyme and pepper until lightly browned. Remove and keep warm.
- Reduce to a medium to high heat and sauté the bacon and vegetables until soft.
- Add the cranberries, tomato paste, red wine, vinegar, lemon zest, mustard and stock. Add back the diced venison and combine. Bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 1hr, or transfer to a casserole dish in a moderate oven and cook for 1hr. If necessary, thicken with cornflour solution and return to the heat for a couple of mins.
- Stir in the lite sour cream before serving. Serve with rice or potatoes.
Hot Tip - this also makes a great pie filling and is excellent when cooked in a crockpot!